Lub-dub. Lub-dub. Lub-dub. Listen up! This is your heart talking, and our conversation today is designed to help it keep pumping. As we discuss some important tips for maintaining a healthy heart, keep in mind that it’s never too late – or too early – to start making healthy changes to improve your lifestyle.
“Keeping your heart healthy is simple when you look at the big picture,” says Wendy Fries with WebMD. “Get exercise. Eat right. Stress less. Watch your weight. Don’t smoke.”
Let’s break it down…
Why Does Heart Health Matter?
According to John Hopkins Medicine, heart disease tops the list of the most serious health problems in the United States. Here are some sobering stats:
- Cardiovascular disease causes more deaths in the United States than cancer, chronic lower respiratory diseases, and accidents combined.
- Approximately 84 million Americans currently suffer from some form of cardiovascular disease. This leads to approximately 2,200 deaths a day, or one death every 40 seconds.
- The direct and indirect costs of cardiovascular disease and stroke are about $315 billion (and rising) each year.
Fortunately, there are steps we can take to lower the risk of becoming another sad story. At MP USA, our heart-healthy programs – such as our ongoing Family Martial Arts programs, Wealth of Health Fitness and Vibravision, and our upcoming Adult Athletic Adventure – can help you be your best self as you incorporate the suggestions below into your life.
How Can I Help Keep My Heart Happy?
Because practicing the ancient Indonesian martial art of Merpati Putih is what we do, our first answer, of course, has to be, “Join us for MP!”
Even after just a couple of classes, our participants report noticing a deeper sense of inner peace and wellness, lowered blood pressure, and improvements in calmness, energy, and endurance. Members of our classes also report feeling relief from a long list of conditions, such as colds, arthritis, restless leg syndrome, depression, the flu, multiple sclerosis, hypertension and high blood pressure, asthma, back pain, chronic fatigue syndrome, tendonitis, allergies, stiff joints, fibromyalgia, migraines, and much more. If you’re looking for martial arts classes with health benefits in Ogden, UT, look no further than MP USA!
Here are some more suggestions for improving your cardiovascular health:
- Healthy Diet: You’ve heard this one many times before. Eat a variety of healthy foods, including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins. Also, eat less salt, replace unhealthy saturated and trans fats with unsaturated fats, and cut back on sugar.
- Healthy Habits: Managing your cholesterol and blood pressure are critical aspects of keeping your heart healthy. If you have diabetes, manage it to the best of your ability as well. Other healthy habits include getting enough sleep, quitting smoking, and limiting your alcohol intake.
- Physical Activity: Regular, moderate physical activity is great for your heart health,”
says the Heart Foundation. “It’s never too late to start and get the benefits. It’s also important to sit less during your day and break up your sitting time.” In four words, GET A MOVE ON! No matter what your current fitness level is, participating in classes at MP USA is a great place to start.
- Healthy Weight: Carrying around excess pounds makes your heart work harder. Being overweight also exacerbates most other health problems, especially if your extra weight is around your midsection. If you don’t know your current body mass index and waist measurements, find out what they are right away. These numbers can help you set and achieve goals to maintain a healthy weight. At MP USA, we’ll support you all the way!
- Mental Health: Research continually demonstrates that increasing our participation in meditation, physical exercise, and group activities can benefit our mental health. MP USA’s Wealth of Health Fitness Program and Athletic Adventure classes give you all three. In fact, we talk a lot around here about the benefits of group exercise. We also know that our emotional and physical hearts are connected! People who are depressed, anxious or socially isolated are more prone to heart disease than are people who have good social and emotional supports in place. We’re committed to helping you get in sync!
If you’re ready to implement these important tips for maintaining a healthy heart, don’t miss MP USA’s upcoming enrollment periods for our Wealth of Health and Athletic Adventure classes. Wealth of Health and Vibravision enrollment is open now! Also, now is the time to sign up for Wealth of Health and Adult Athletic Adventure program intro trials and classes! For more information,on all our programs call 801-940-1549 today! Lub-dub. Lub-dub. Lub-dub. This is your heart saying, “Thank you!”